Our 2019 webinar series features 10-episodes to educate audiences about the history, impacts, and healing of U.S. Indian boarding school experiences. The Series will be split into two parts, a Spring section that will run from February to June and a Fall section that will go from August to December.
This series is for listeners in tribal governance, education, philanthropy, and community organizing to gain vital knowledge about this important part of American history and how it continues to affect us today.
2019 Webinar Series Schedule
Part 2: Boarding School Impacts and Healing Initiatives (All webinars will be held from 12:00 – 1:15 p.m. Central, click webinar title to register.)
- August 8, 2019: Mindful Decolonization, Healthy Ancestral Lifestyles, and the Medicine Wheel: A new holistic approach to healing trauma and transforming well-being
Dr. Michael Yellow Bird (Three Affiliated Tribes) Dean and Professor, Faculty of Social Work, University of Manitoba
- September 5, 2019: Thinking Beyond a Few Bad Actors: Colonialism and Catholic Sex Abuse in Indian Country
Kathleen Hollscher, Professor, University of New Mexico
- October 4, 2019: The Boarding School and Adoption Eras: Intergenerational Impacts of Child Removal
Christine Diindiisi McCleave (Turtle Mountain Anishinaabe) Executive Director, NABS; and Sandy White Hawk (Sicangu Lakota) Executive Director, First Nations Repatriation Institute
- November 7, 2019: Repurposing Boarding Schools for Education and Healing: The Mt. Pleasant Indian Boarding School in Saginaw, MI
Shannon Martin (Ojibwe and Gun Lake Pottawatomie) Executive Director, Ziibiwing Center; and Willie Johnson (Saginaw Chippewa) Curator, Ziibiwing Center of Anishinabe Culture & Lifeways
- December 2019: Truth and Healing Initiatives
Liz Medicine Crow (Tlingit and Haida) Executive Director, First Alaskans Institute
Part 1: Boarding School Histories and Storytelling–All webinars from Part 1 were previously broadcast; click webinar title to listen to the recording.
- February 7, 2019: Truth in History: Federal Indian Boarding Schools in the U.S.
Christine Diindiisi McCleave, M.A. (Turtle Mountain Ojibwe) Executive Officer, National Native American Boarding School Healing Coalition-
- March 21, 2019: American Indian Boarding Schools: Disease, Death, and the National Archives
Preston McBride, M.A. (Comanche, unenrolled) Ph.D. Candidate, University of California Los Angeles
- April 19, 2019: Boarding School Generations
Dr. Brenda Child (Red Lake Ojibwe) Professor, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
- May 2, 2019: American Indian Boarding School Stories from the 19th and 20th Centuries
Dr. K. Tsianina Lomawaima (Mvskoke/Creek, unenrolled) Professor, Arizona State University
- June 6, 2019: Historical Trauma and Healing
Dr. Roberta Paul (Nez Perce) Retired Director, Native American Health Sciences at Washington State University Spokane
Can’t make it? Stay tuned! We’ll be recording the webinars and making them available online at a later date.